Sunday, September 18, 2011

you don't have to read this if you're a boy/man

I took a break from all the paper work and started my packing list. So many things to buy/prepare for. In a way, this trip is different than a traveling trip because I will be settling down somewhere for 2 years, so beside just packing travel size bottle of shampoo and conditioners, I need to have a list of other survival tools.

Long story short, I ended up researching about menstrual cups.

a. The internet really messes up my attention span.
b. Hate it or love it, bleeding out from your vagina every three weeks is a normal thing for a woman. Actually, no one wants it. When we have it, we don't want it. When we don't have it, we worry. It is as normal for us as men with their morning woods. If it happens take care of it. End of story.

So naturally, in planning for PC, I also have to plan for my period in PC. I have read that the Peace Corps does provide some amount of pads/tampons for volunteers, and depend on the country, you can buy them locally. When I was in Vietnam, it was not at all a big deal to find pads. Just hit up a store and you're offered all kind of options and choices. However, the same thing might not be available in Ghana. Especially if I am going to be living in a remote village. I doubt there is going to be a supermarket with options and variety.

So yeah, menstrual cup. Reusable and less carbon footprint. Who knew there are so many variety???? I have only heard of DivaCup, but after browsing around, there are apparently a lot. It's like discovering a new underground genre of something. I was blown away. There is even a website with someone rating each individually and making comparison between them. Pads seems so neanderthal now... and harmful to the environment with all that trash at the end of the day. Sorry mother earth, I'll try to bleed better from now on.

2 comments:

  1. wow. and i thought slow drivers were the worst of my problems. menstrual cups sound awful :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah no! the cup is supposed to be the thing of the future!

    ReplyDelete