Sunday, March 20, 2011

"eat, eat, fish doesn't make you fat, don't worry" or "why do your jeans have holes in them, did you fall and tear your clothes?"

I've lost track of time completely. I'm not sure what day it is right now. I think it's Monday over here. Losing a whole Wednesday due to the time zone change really threw me off lol. And the whole 15 hours differences and my not having a watch isn't helping. And I don't have a phone yet so everything is off.

I've been here for about 4 days now, and beside living on the dangerous side of riding in the back of a motorbike almost every day, I haven't done much except for getting fed a lot, being stared at by people/locals, being mosquitoes' favorite meals, and being awake way too much during the hours that the sun is still out.

It is almost 9 am right now. I have been up since 8 am. It sounds terrible, I'm sure, considering that it's Spring Break right now in the states. I mean, who gets up at 8 am by choice?

Well, people here get up at like 5 or 6 am. The streets and the shops are alive around that time, markets are open around the same time too, especially in the country, which is where I am. My aunties and uncles get up around 5 or 6ish. After my first night, I got up at 7 am-ish and really didn't believe that my body could do that voluntary. Sleeping until 8 or later is considered too late, and 10 am is considered noon-time for lunch and then people take a (mandatory) nap around 11am or 12pm after their lunch meal until 3-4pm then eat some more and resume their work until dinner time. The sun sets late but fast here, and I feel that after the sun sets people go to sleep right away because it would be around 10pm and houses would have their doors closed and light turned off.

So now there is sort of an assumption that Americans sleep a lot... well, you would too if life doesn't end until 1-2am and you don't go to bed until 3-4 am, and you don't get the privilege of napping for 2-3 hours in the middle of the day.

Honestly, I don't particularly remember how life was like when I was a kid so I can't compare, but it also could be that it's the country side. Maybe when I get to the city it'll be better.

Enough complaining about the sun, let's address the more important topic that everyone is dying to know, "how is the food?"

Pretty fuckin' awesome, guys.

I'm eating so much fishes, and delicious noodle soup, I can not complain. It helps that the country side area I am staying at is near the coastal front/a beach town, so every seafood I eat is pretty fresh. I am anticipating a hook up with some scrumptious blue crabs soon. I'll tell you about it, and maybe even post pictures of our rendez-vous. I haven't had many chances of taking pictures of my food because (a.) It looks just as silly as someone else doing it (b.) My locals relatives don't get it and make fun of me. But I do have a few pics for you to see, so don't worry my loyal reader(s?)

I have had street food more than thrice already, and my stomach has been fine so far, granted that most of these street food have been togo-ed home. Okay, I lied, the second day my stomach wasn't too happy, but Pepto Bismo is my friend. These little pink pills have my back, so I'm not so worried.

On top of street food, my relatives and everyone around have been really putting in an effort to feed me under the ASSumption that I must really love to eat because I am not chubby for no reason. I am being fed stuff that they think I would like/stuff that they think I should try which is all fine and dandy but sometime it hurts because I can only eat so much. Plus I am still not used to the hot weather, and being too full on food is even more uncomfortable while sweating. But if I turn them down, saying I am full or not wanting to eat more, they think it's because I am afraid to be fat even though I seriously just ate a ton of food 15 minutes before! So they would try to persuade me to eat by telling me that "fish won't get me fat" or "sour fruits don't make people fat" and therefore I should eat more of them.

In the Vietnamese culture, people do a lot of assuming and analyzing as making answering for what is out of the ordinary or what they don't understand. The same method in which superstitious belief or even religions are created. Thus is the same approach my relatives take when it comes to me. It's goes unmentioned if I am agreeable to their suggestions, but if I state otherwise, lots of "explanation" as of why comes up, and in term of food, all assumptions point to either I-love-it-therefore/because-I-am-fat or I-hate-it-because-I-am-fat/afraid-0f-getting-fat. I try laughing it off, but after a few days, it's getting harder and harder to find it funny.

Anywho, here's some food I've eaten. They don't look too fancy, but they sure are delish!


QuĆ£ng-style noodles, can be made with pork, chicken, beef or shrimps, or combination of all


Crab and corn soup. Simple and scrumptious

I get stared at a lot. I think they know I am not from around here. Compare to local girls, I am not any taller, but definitely wider and protrude in more places. When going shopping, people don't believe that I am a size S despite the store selling American brands with American size. I kept being handed M or L and they think the only reason why I fit in smaller size is because the style/cut is loose and baggy.

It also doesn't help that people here are not as conservative as travel websites make them out to be. I was worried that I would stand out too much dressing too open and "American" so all I brough with me are loose and baggy clothes, but girls wear tight, short and flashy stuff here plenty. I have only been wear sport bras because to be even more conservative, but all is for naught because everyone is getting pretty modernized and like to show their goods just as much as anyone else in the world. I only get more stares because I am not doing what they are doing. Young people stare because they notice that I am not wearing the same trend as they are, and old people stare because they just don't get trend in general. I visited my great-aunty wearing a pair of ripped jeans, and she kept asking me how did I tear my jeans, and why don't I throw away clothes that are ripped and buy new ones LOL.

In addition, the culture values and appreciates pale skin, due to the past few months of me hiding from the sun, I've been quite pale so I come off a chubby and pale girl from America, a image displaying the sign of wealth and prosperity, even though we all know it's quite the opposite as I am, sadly, a broke ass fool. So please stop staring, people because as much as I love the attention, I am shy and get stage fright and would rather you talk to me instead.

Even mosquitoes think my blood has something else to offer more than the locals. People joke that it's because my blood smells sweater, and I have more meat to offer (more fat jokes). Ever since my arrival in Nha Trang, a famous seaside city for tourists, I have been pretty much a feast for these miniature draculas. I did bring some anti-mosquitoes repellent, but because I wasn't bitten at all for the first 2-3 days, I got a little cocky and didn't bring it with me to this city. Well fuck, that was a bad decision if I ever made one. In one sitting, I killed 3 mosquitoes, but they kept coming, and thank lord baby Jesus for Cortizone, the magical itch medicine, otherwise, I think I might have to hurt someone to feel better.



Can't always drink my blood and get away with it, bitch
Spot the bites. Go
Next post will be about Nha Trang, a tourist destination, wait for it... :)

1 comment:

  1. haha. is your family darker than you? light skinned ppls get bitten more. how does it feel now?!?! and you're still pretty dark iono what pale you're talking about...

    ReplyDelete