Friday, June 3, 2011

i read book(s)

I stumbled upon this book by accident. And by accident I mean typing in "audio books" in torrentz.com and going through the search results.

I have never really "read" and audio book before, but I wanted to try out my new mp3 player, and wanted to compensate reading for the fact that I bought something while not having a job. And also because I like Tina Fey. If her book is anything like Liz Lemon, I'm down to read/listen to it. It is a bonus that the reader of the book is Tina Fey herself. It's like she's telling you the story!

The beginning was kind of slow, somewhere in the early chapters, I went into REM lying on my couch. For what it's worth, I usually just fall straight asleep when I listen to podcasts of lectures back in my college days so Tina, don't be upset, you weren't boring, it was me, not you.

Unlike Chelsea Handler's A You There Vodka, It's Me Chelsea? Fey's book is more subtle in term of comedic punch line, but just the funniness is still just as powerful. Which make me look like a real idiot, or a weirdo, laughing out loud while standing by myself in front of various public locations, i.e: library, The World's Market, Ross...

Though right now, Fey is working her dream job and enjoying a big fat pay check for that job and the days of post-grad struggle are way behind her and I am none of the above. Her problems, and consequentially, her book's selling points are still so relative. I don't know how she is in real life, but her humbleness in this book really appeals to me. It also helps that Fey might be one of those people who just make you laugh when they spit profanity.

More over, I like that Fey wasn't just talking about how she struggled in the early years and now appreciating her success, but also talk about how tough it is for a woman to be funny and for people to appreciate it (yes, a form of female empowerment, how feminist of me, I know).

Though they pretty much do the same thing, which is cracking jokes and make people laugh, I don't feel like female comedians get the same credits as male comedians. And when they do, it's because they have balls (Chelsea Handler) and their accomplishment would be noticed as something huge... for women (Bridemaids --a comedy for women, written by women). Putting these disclaimers is a form of gender discrimination.
Of course there are things that are made for gender specific, such as pads and tampons for women (because men obviously don't need them) but other than that, everything else should be equal, especially when it comes to being funny. Who cares if a movie, joke or a play was written by a man or a woman, shouldn't people just enjoy it all the same? And if someone is good at something, such as a great yo mama joke, shouldn't it be because that person is hilarious, not because he's a man. Women can talk shit too. We can also be real dirty too.
This issue has bothered me for a while and Fey discussed this in her book, which I really appreciate.

Overall, this is a good/funny read, and listening/reading this book has really gotten my reading mojo going, so I'm trying to bid for a Kindle and start my reading marathon soon. Can't wait!

2 comments: