Thursday, June 23, 2011

Getting lost and my first gray hair.

Well hello there,

"I know I've got a power... I can feel it in my balls."
Sorry for the lack of updates, I have been meaning to be prompt with my news, but I stumbled upon a wonderful distraction in the form of this show. Misfits, a British comedy original. As my apparent fondness for the Brits and their humor grows, I have not been able to stop watching this show upon its discover... two nights ago. So instead of spending my little free time I have now sharing my life with the world in the form of this blog, I've just been watching TV. Thank goodness that British television has about half the number of episodes in one series in comparison to American shows, otherwise, I don't see how I could possibly get any work done.

Anyway, the show is a sci-fy, fantasy comedy with the usual brilliant British screen play, and I'm more hooked than a bait worm. Since I have already professed my love for British television, I won't bored everyone with more of this love sick shit. I would just like to recommend the show for anyone who's down for some wicked humor and semi Wolverine style super heroes. Find it on Youtube or watch-series or wait for it to come out weekly on Hulu, you won't regret it. (Unless dark, offensive, politically incorrect humor isn't your thing... then maybe you shouldn't even be reading this blog.)

Now, onto the real reason why you are here.


Thanks for a chance of my wonderful friend, M, I interviewed and got a job working at a non-profit in downtown LA. There was no hiring post or anything for this job, it was more like of a download, internal news kind of thing, but my friend got a wind of it, and gave me the hook up. It's not even the same company he is working for, and he didn't even hear it from any of the people from my current company. I'm still amazed that it happened. Or that I got hired at all after the crapstatic performance I put on for my interview.

I was suppose to come in at 9am, to downtown LA, which according to Google Map is about 30 mins away from where I live. However, Google Map doesn't take into account that traffic times in never in the time span it is expected to be, but always at least doubled. So for the morning of the interview, I left half an hour earlier than when I'm suppose to leave., 8am because I hear that LA morning traffic could be horrendous.

And I was right. If freeway traffics were all monsters, then LA traffic is the Frankenstein of them all, ugly and slow. I snailed along for about an hour, took the 110 for the first time ever, and managed to not get off at the right exist (of course) only to ended up in down town LA, also for the first time by myself and had no idea where I was going. After an hour of a half driving, I didn't want to look at the clock anymore not wanting to know how late I was for my interview. I called the office, the receptionist probably could smell the panic through the phone and pitied me because he was extra nice about guiding me to the office, though he probably could have told me to fuck off for being so late.

I finally got to the work place 50 minutes after my appointment, and all without a resume. I seriously had no idea why I was even there given my chance of getting hired was probably under 30 percents. The nice receptionist let me in anyway and even got me some water and PRINTED OUT MY RESUME FOR ME and gave me a note pad so I can take notes when being interviewed by the CEO. I still have no idea how it happened, but I got hired for the position and started immediately. The CEO described the position as "Girl Friday" throwing out a Robinson Crusoe reference. I took me a sec to get it... he's classic old school.

The company is a non-profit advocating HIV/AIDS awareness in the Black (and Gay) Community. I'm the only Asian and the accountant is the only white woman. There are ten of us, and we all like men. There's so much laughter and sass. I love it.

Consider that I still somehow managed to get lost on my way home from the mall that I have been going to since I was 15, driving around LA is pretty much still a very fresh trial and error process. My first two days in LA, I didn't get home until well after 10pm because I repeatedly ended up on the wrong freeway and exiting two far from my destinations only to end up getting on the free way again.  I'm pretty sure I spent almost a whole tank of gas collectively over the last week getting lost. It's been a week, I know how to get home now, but I still have no idea how to go anywhere else in downtown, and I am obviously not trying because roaming around downtown during traffic/rush hours? No thanks.

I'm collectively making a list of all the plus sides of this job, and top of the list so far is the amazing Mexican fruit stands across the street from the office that give me a giant bag for four bucks. So scrumptious. A man stared at me today and made some weird noises as I entered my building, Usually, I would say it's typical downtown hood behaviors but I had my chille fruit bags with me so I'm pretty sure he was staring at that. I mean... come on, I would too. Pics (of the fruits) to come later.

2 comments:

  1. lol how could you not have brought your resume? you sound like a noob fresh from college that never had a job in her life. so sad... but congrats on getting the job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha carol! i'm so happy for you chau!!! and i know exactly how you feel with the la traffic... BRUTAL!!!

    ReplyDelete